I know that podcasts are the hip new thing, but I have to admit: I just can’t seem to get into them.
I know, I know: I probably haven’t found the right one or I’m simply not giving them a fair shot. But every instance that someone talks about listening to a podcast—while doing housework or on a long drive—I choose music every time. My choice probably stems from my days pretending to be a radio DJ and making mix tapes with my younger brother, but I also think that music is just different. Podcasts feed my head; music feeds my soul.
Enter our Mix Tape series. Whether you need a break from podcasts or whether you just want to be inspired by a new mix of soul-quenching tunes, follow along. I can’t promise the abrupt and screechy transitions that would have accompanied the songs on my original mix tapes, but I can promise a carefully selected set of songs that, at some point, will be precisely what your heart and soul are looking for.
Up first is a set of songs that will take you all the way back to the 1970s. Peppy but chill, they all make me feel like it’s summer and I’m driving with the windows rolled down wearing Ray-Bans. Good thing we have a month of summer left to do just that.
Listen on Spotify.
70s Summer Track List
- “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?,” Creedence Clearwater Revival
- “Bennie and the Jets,” Elton John
- “Straight On,” Heart
- “Piano Man,” Billy Joel
- “Dreams,” Fleetwood Mac
- “The Chain,” Fleetwood Mac
- “December, 1963 [Oh What a Night!],” Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
- “The Passenger,” Iggy Pop
- “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl),” Looking Glass
- “Rich Girl,” Daryl Hill & John Oates
- “Best of My Love,” The Emotions
- “Stayin’ Alive,” Bee Gees
- “Midnight Train to Georgia,” Gladys Knight & The Pips
- “Me and Bobby McGee,” Janis Joplin
- “Grease,” Frankie Valli
- “American Pie,” Don McLean
- “Sultans of Swing,” Dire Straits
- “Let It Be,” The Beatles